• Scientific name: Diplotropis purpurea Amsh.
• Spanish: Sucupira
Description of the wood
• Sapwood: Greyish white to yellowish white.
• Heartwood: Dark brown to reddish brown.
• Fiber: Straight, often intertwined.
• Grain: Medium.
• Sapwood: Moderately impregnable
• Ouramen: Non-impregnable
• Sawing: No more problems than its hardness and those of its certain abrasiveness.
• Drying: Medium to slow. Slight risks of deformations and fendes.
• Planning: Difficult due to its hardness, abrasiveness and the risk of repelling in pieces with interlocking fiber. [Mecanización] should be carried out very slowly.
• Gluing: Tannins hinder good adhesion.
• Nailing and screwing: Due to its hardness, it is advisable to make pre-drills.
• Finish: No special problems.
• Resistance to static flexion 1,400 kg/cm2
• Elasticity module 180,000 kg/cm2
• Resistance to compression 850 kg/cm2